Powered By Blogger

Saturday, September 28, 2013

Finding Peace


            During a recent visit one of my favorite aunties asked if I written anything new for this blog, and I admitted that I hadn’t…mainly due to my scattered attentions.  I’m still substitute teaching, working on my book, and taking care of my family (including the two very needy dogs!), but I have also jumped headlong into the process of being “polished” as AMTC likes to call it.  It is the process by which raw talent, and the possessor of it is trained, discipled, encouraged, and empowered to present ourselves to a gathering of some of the country’s most esteemed V.I.P’s.
These V.I.P.’s represent some of the biggest names in music, modeling, and entertainment, so working toward becoming the kind of talent they would like to employ is no small feat. 
            At the same time I have been doing an incredible amount of internal work; work requiring a ton of introspection, prayer, and talking.  Even AT&T has done its share by facilitating conference calls between my sister, brother, and me.  Coming to terms with the death of a parent is one of the most life-altering changes one can endure.  Coming to terms with the death of an abusive parents is a different kind of matter altogether.  And. It is very hard work. 
            The three of us have said, each at separate moments, that if you had asked us two years ago if our childhood had been traumatic, we all would have said no.  Ask us if our parents were abusive and we would have said no way! But there is something about death that not only lifts the veil of mystery, but jolts the sleepy awake as well.  Once awake, those who were once sleepy, and now left behind, are suddenly thrust forward into life much like the newborn babe rudely delivered into a room colder than the womb it has just left, assaulted by the glare of brutal lights and touched only by gloved hands.  No skin to skin touch until the babe has been poked, fiercely rubbed, weighed and assessed.  Yeah, kinda like that.
            It’s abrupt and uncompassionate.  When cancer took our mom from our lives, it left a huge hole in our futures, and it left us to deal with a past we were content to leave in the shadows.  The three of us would tell you that it is a horrible conflict to deal with, to suddenly see our mom as she had been during the formative years of our lives, and still love her so fiercely.  To say that she had been my mentor, my best friend, and my biggest fan was easy.  To admit that she had been abusive was only something I was able to admit in therapy.  I think we all knew she was one of the most talented, intelligent, yet conflicted people on the planet.  She wrestled with herself constantly.  I saw it, and couldn’t do anything to help her, except to keep irritations to a minimum. 
            So, therein lies a paradox.  How can we say we love one who has caused us pain?  I mean, I’m not the only one who’s had someone hurt them in some way, right?  I’ve heard other stories of mistreatment by parents, siblings, and others we trust with hearts, and the injured party still loves the inflict-er of that pain.  Doesn’t make any sense!  But maybe it’s as easy as a wise friend in my character group said, “You’re not stupid. You love because of Jesus”…despite the injury caused. 
            It’s not any easier to admit my childhood wasn’t a fairytale, that there’s damage needing healing, and that I’m gonna be at this for a while, but I can say with tons of fervor that I loved my mama beyond description. Not in my own ability, but by Christ’s gift of forgiveness.
And that is where I am finding peace.










             

            

3 comments:

  1. Hello Heidi R. So good to know you through your profile on the blogger. I am glad to stop by your blog "God's own Fool" and the post on it "finding Peace".I am glad to know who you believe. And the other thing which impressed me is your passion is kids and education to them is your hearts desire. Well how good will it be if you come to Mumbai, India and work with us on a short term missions trip. We reach out to the people and children who are living in the slums and who are very poor, oppressed, marginalized and neglected. I live in Mumbai and serve the Lord through Pastoral ministry for last 33 rys. This city with a great contrast where richest of rich and the poorest of poor live. We reach out to the poorest of poor with the love of Christ to bring healing to the broken hearted. We also encourage young people as well as adults from the West to come to Mumbai to work with us during their vacation time. We would love to have you come and work with us among children in the slum who are deprived of education. We have Kindergarten for the children in the slum as well as Nutrition program for the malnurished children. It would be great if you prayerfully think about this opportunity. I have been to Madison in Wisconsin couple of times. My email id is: dhwankhede(at)gmail(dot)com and my name is Diwakar Wankhede. Looking forward to hear from you very soon. I will be happy to get connected to you on your email id. So if you happen to receive an email from me pls. open it. Some times due to the fear of spam we do not tend to open email from strangers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading, and thanks for your invitation, but I'm pretty sure I will not be coming to Mumbai any time soon. Good to hear about your work! Wishing you all of God's abundant blessings!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete