Powered By Blogger

Saturday, February 4, 2012

Audience of One


Today I’m begging the question of whether or not we should behave as though we have only an "Audience of One."  Recently I heard one of the best sermons ever on how our behavior affects the decision of those around us for or against putting their faith in Christ.  It was very motivating, by being presented in such a way that each and every one of us listening has impact, positive or negative, on the people around us.  The parting challenge given to us was whether or not we would live in such a way that people would see something different in us, or if we would be seen as being like the rest of the world, and cause people to want nothing to do with Christianity.
That left me re-evaluating the phrase I’ve often had to consider when performing.  I first learned it when I was on a worship team in Phoenix, where I learned the importance of “holding talent loosely.” That means that no matter how much time has been spent in rehearsal or how much you have personally invested in a piece of music, a drama, or sketch…that if it was decided that something needed to be suddenly dropped, replaced, or re-scheduled, that it was because whoever is in charge has been led by God to do so. There was to be no whining, tantrums, or pouting.  We were also not to take the decision personally.  Let go and let God kind of thing, you know?
So, that said, where does the idea of us performing for an “Audience of One” (which is God) leave us? I mean, I've also learned that as a Christian, when I'm performing I should be mostly concerned with what God thinks (not necessarily what I think of the performance).  I’m seriously asking for a discussion here.  If we are performers in any way, are we the only ones who should keep this in mind when we’re performing? How are we to make sure to hold our talents loosely and/ or behave everywhere else like we are faith walking and –talking people, but remember we have only and audience of One?  Got any thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment